Introduced in 2005, Martell XO is a distinct blend from the house of Martell with 40% alcohol by volume (ABV) and an intense yet powerful flavour profile that carries the taste of audacious tradition.
Martell XO is double distilled from grapes grown in the Grand Champagne terroir of the Charente region in France and aged for a minimum of 10 years in oak casks.
Each bottle contains the colour of golden amber with bold notes of coriander, spicy black and pink peppercorns, and rounded out by rich aromas of fig, sandalwood and walnut. Strong tasting on the palate and pairs well with food. The Martell XO offers a robust finish that lingers in the mouth.
The Legacy of Martell XO Cognac
Cognac is a blend of spirits that is only produced in the Cognac region in France, but unlike wine, it is legally required to undergo a double distillation process and then aged in oak barrels for a number of years.
The ageing process generally determines the label: VS, VSOP, XO, XXO, Extra, Réserve, Hors d’Age, and Napoleon for starters. There are also some brands of cognac that are classified as Cuvée, which denotes the blend and not necessarily the age of the spirit.
Martell is one of the oldest great cognac houses in the world, with a legacy of more than 300 years since 1715. Founded by Jean Martell from Jersey, Martell boasts a grand heritage of well-kept cellars and soulful craftsmanship that has been passed from hand to hand for generations.
What is Martell XO made of?
Specially grown in the borderies of Charente region, the selected white grape varieties for Martell cognac comprises Ugni Blanc (almost 90%), Colombard and Folle Blanche grape vines.
Only white grapes are used in the production of cognac because of its high acidity, which produces eau-de-vie that better preserves the complex aromas of the grapes but takes a longer time to mature.
Luxurious golden amber colour with strong aromas of fruity figs, walnuts and sandalwood. The Martell XO boldly teases the tongue with spicy notes of black and pink pepper and coriander.
Is Martell XO good? Best enjoyed with richer tastes of aged cheese and cream. Sinfully decadent flavours will meld harmoniously with Martell XO, giving you a complete experience of red fruit and black currant.
Serving Tips and Food Pairings
The purest way to savour the aromas of Martell XO is to serve it neat, or on the rocks (meaning with ice) with a drop of water.
It is a drink with much finesse that does not require much accompaniment to shine at its fullest.
The cognac can be an absolute star used in modern cocktails. Use Martell XO cognac for this Swift Old Fashioned recipe:
Martell Cocktail: Swift Old Fashioned
What You Need:
- Martell XO (2 parts)
- Sugar cane syrup (0.25 parts)
- Jefferson bitters (2 dashes)
- Cherry garnish (1 fruit)
- Orange peel
- Add the liquids (sugar cane syrup, Martell XO, bitters) into a cocktail shaker, and mix well.
- Prepare a cocktail glass and chill it with ice.
- Remove ice and replace with an ice ball or serve with two rocks of ice.
- Strain contents from the shaker into the glass.
- Garnish with cherry and orange peel. Serve.
The classic Old Fashioned is perfect if you want something fancy and neat at the same time.
Don’t limit your options because the Martell XO also works with other cocktails like Cider Punch, Sangria and Cognac Cooler.
Going deeper into the gastronomic side of things, Martell XO provides some interesting pairings with rich foods such as aged cheeses like camembert and cheddar, and creamy sauces.
Its spicy notes go particularly well with red meat options like steak and duck, offering a sharp contrast to balance earthiness and oily meats. It can also be used in cooking as an addition to buttery sauces that go along with mushrooms and strong spices like ginger and paprika.
The Martell XO is a proud recipient of international accolades for its overall quality.
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2022 (Double Gold)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2021 (Gold)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2020 (Gold)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019 (Double Gold)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2018 (Silver)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2017 (Double Gold)
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2016 (Silver)
- International Spirits Challenge 2022 (Silver)
- International Spirits Challenge 2021 (Gold)
- International Spirits Challenge 2018 (Silver)
- International Spirits Challenge 2016 (Silver)
- The Cognac Masters 2019 – The Spirits Business Category (Gold Medal)
- The Cognac Masters 2018 – The Spirits Business Category (Gold Medal)
- The Cognac Masters 2017 – XO Ultra Premium Category (Gold Medal)
- International Wine and Spirits Competition 2017 (Silver – Outstanding / Score: 86 – 89.9)
The Martell XO is an award-winning cognac with a bold history and traditional taste. You can’t go wrong with Martell for any occasion. Buy a bottle now!